Athletes and Spectators
Communications with athletes starts before registration and
continues through to post-event communications.
Communication with spectators is typically only on the day
of the event. Here is a list of ideas to consider for
- Add a "Green Page" to your website detailing your
green initiatives. Don't over commit: only include
initiatives that you're certain you'll be
implementing. Launch the site 6-9 months before the event
and add to it as you go.
- Display the FitPlanet
Pledge of Sustainability logo (and
other third-party seals such as ReSport) on your home page
and in your marketing materials. Clicking on the Pledge logo
sends viewers to the FitPlanet Green Events Directory where
they can see exactly what you pledged to implement. If
you're an Active client then you're also listed in their
- Include a green tip or news about the greening of the
race in your regular email correspondence with
- Issue a press release announcing that the event is
'going green' and include reference to the Pledge and any
certification standards you are applying for.
Contact us for
a draft of a press release.
- Integrate green options in your registration page such
as carbon offsets, such Green Tags from
Contact us for sample modules you
At the event
- At the expo and/or next to the registration
table, display a poster that lists all your environmental
- Survey athletes at the expo or registration about how
they got to the event and whether they took public
transportation or carpooled.
- Provide the announcer with a script that highlights your
green initiatives and ask them to repeat it throughout the
- Display signage to clearly identify your
recycling/trash/compost stations - make sure it's placed at
or above head height so you can see it through a crowd. (And
staff the stations with volunteers.) FitPlanet can customize
signage for you,
click here for an example.
- Provide green team volunteers with special green
t-shirts so they are clearly identifiable at the event.
After the event
- Email a post-event survey to athletes that includes
questions about the environmental initiatives - ask for
ideas for your next event.
- Send a post-event email to all participants that
summarizes the results of your green initiative. See Chapter
5: Metrics, for ideas on specific data to report.